Friday, August 15, 2008

If you can't take the heat...

Thankfully, summer is coming to an end. I say this not because I'm glad the seasons are changing. No, I say this because metro cannot figure out how get a decent A/C system running on their cars. Oh, and the underground stations. Ever wanted to lose 20 pounds in hurry? Pick an underground station, any one will do, and stand there for say 30 minutes. If you're not a sweaty, stinking mess, consider yourself lucky because you clearly don't have active merocrine glands. Now the rest of us, we suffer.

Now it's bad enough the trains are stifling on a good day, but factor in a significant delay, like the 45 minute one the other day, plenty of tourists, and you have a recipe for disaster. Or as I like to call it, Tuesday. On this particular ride home, my car was PACKED and HOT. In fact, hot doesn't describe it. Boiling, and that's being generous. This woman had been standing before I got on the train, and stood (or tired too as I'll get to) all the way to the end with me, typically a 45 minute trip. However, on this day, delays happened all over the line because, it was boiling. Everyone knows that on boiling days, metro can't seem to get a train running on time if the apocalypse depended on it. Now these weren't the normal 5-10 minute delays. No, these were single track delays causing havoc all over the place. So we sat. And sat. And sat some more. In a tunnel. With no A/C and a faulty fan system. As I glanced around, I noticed the lady was starting to sway back and forth. Bad sign. Shortly after, she passed out and fell forward, hitting her head on the hand rail. Nothing starts a little panic like someone passing out. Someone gave up their seat so the lady could have it. She was sitting down for about five minutes and then puked all over the place. What is it with me and riders throwing up? Come on people, get an iron stomach. Someone gave her a plastic bag to empty the rest of her stomach into, but the damage was done. Boiling car, little air flow, and an excruciating ride to the next stop where I hopped into the next car down, which had working A/C. Go figure.

No comments: